Student Loan Eligibility
Pursue Your Desired Career Without Financial Stress
Am I eligible for a student loan?
Brazos Higher Education offers student loans with easy repayment terms to help Texas residents attending college at one of over 2,000 schools nationwide and Non-Texas residents attending a Texas school pay for their education.
These funds can be used to pay up to the full cost of attendance and the associated fees, including books, supplies, including a computer, and living expenses, without the financial burden.
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the eligibility requirements prior to applying for Brazos Texas student loans. In addition to the requirements below, borrowers and cosigners must meet other credit criteria in order to qualify.
A borrower must be enrolled at least half-time in:
- An accredited Title IV school eligible for federal financial aid and is located anywhere in the United States. (If not a Texas resident, school must be in Texas.)
- A 4-year degree-granting school that is a state or private non-profit institution.
- A school that is not a for-profit school
To be eligible for a Brazos Student Loan, you must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or National or a non-citizen with government-issued, non-expired documentation of permanent resident status. If applying with an Eligible Cosigner, a non-citizen with a work or student visa or a DACA Recipient.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Texas Resident
- Be applying to finance an undergraduate or graduate degree and be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program at one of over 2,000 schools nationwide.
- Non-Texas Resident
- Be applying to finance an undergraduate or graduate degree and be enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program at an eligible college in Texas.
- Apply for an amount that is certified by the school the student is attending (see the "Certifying the Cost of Attendance" section of the FAQs)
- Have a minimum annual income of $35,000, or apply with a qualified cosigner.
- Have a FICO score of at least 680, or apply with a qualified cosigner.
- Have a strong credit history and meet other credit requirements, or apply with a cosigner who meets these requirements.
Not a Texas Resident & Not attending a Texas school? We Can Still Help!
Eligible cosigners must:
- Be a United States citizen, National, or non-citizen with government-issued, non-expired documentation of permanent resident status residing in the United States.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be a resident of the State of Texas or student is attending a Texas school as a non-Texas Resident.
- Have a minimum annual income of $35,000.
- Have a FICO score of at least 680.
- Have a strong credit history and meet other credit requirements.
Student Loan Limits
Texas student loans may be requested up to the cost of attendance, less other financial aid, as certified by the school.
Texas Residents- The minimum student loan eligibility amount is $1,000.
Non-Texas Residents Attending a Texas School- The minimum student loan eligibility amount is $2,001.
Required Information for Borrowers and Cosigners
Information you (and your eligible cosigner, if applicable) will need to apply:
- Your social security number.
- The name of the school at which you are enrolled.
- The Cost of Attendance as well as the amount of other financial aid you have been awarded (this can be obtained from your financial aid award letter or your school's financial aid office).
- Your permanent address.
- Proof of income. If applying with an eligible cosigner, proof of the cosigner income (depending upon your income types, this may be your two most recent pay stubs, 1099 Forms, or your most recent tax return).
Have Questions About the Brazos Texas Student Loans?
To guide your loan application process, we’ve answered some of the most common questions about Brazos Texas student loans, including student loan eligibility amount and student loan options.
What People Say
- Kenn, Brazos Borrower
"Our family has worked hard to build good credit. The team at Brazos made sure we were able to make that effort really pay off. We received a better rate on our two student’s education costs than we could find anywhere. Our advisor was always available and went the extra mile to make a complicated process work for us. Thank you... We will see you again next year!"
- Mitchell, Brazos Borrower
"Great people and service. Always there to help or answer my questions."
- Brad, Brazos Borrower
“I was surprised to find the Federal Parent PLUS Loan charges an origination fee of 4.2% with interest rates in the 7.6% range. Brazos offers lower rates and zero fees. They made it easy to apply and work through the process."
- Alison, Brazos Borrower
"Easy access to communicate with representatives. Prompt responses from all communication as well. Customer service is excellent and feels like a small town local bank. I’ve never felt like just another number."
- Kelley, Brazos Borrower
"Great experience. Super easy. Zero fees and decreases the overall amount I will owe on my student loans. So happy!"